Soup is a food that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or other liquid sources. A basic tomato soup is simply tomatoes cooked with celery, onions, and carrots for flavor.
Other seasonings can be added, including salt, pepper, sugar, garlic, and green chili, and milk can be used to make cream of tomato soup. Nigerian pepper soup spice mix is now available at your favorite store in the UK at Kiri Foods.
Image Source: Google
Whether prepared from can or homemade, tomato soup is a source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and iron. Canned Tomato Soup is low in calories but high in salt. One cup contains 85 calories and 695mg sodium.
This represents 28 percent of the recommended daily value for salt based on a 2,000-calorie-day diet. You will get 17g carbohydrates, which include 6g sugars and no dietary fiber.
With only 2g of total fat, tomato soup provides 2 percent of the daily value for total fat. It has no cholesterol, 0.36mg of saturated fat, and 1.4mg of healthy unsaturated fat.
Here is a basic homemade tomato and red pepper soup that is simple and less costly to prepare.
- 1 chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil- to garnish
- 600g ripe tomatoes- quartered
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion- chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute the onion, peppers, and garlic for about five minutes.
- Add fresh tomatoes and cook for another three minutes.
- Add tinned tomatoes, stock, and a cup of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for thirty minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.